KEY DATES FOR EXHIBITOR APPLICATIONS FOR AAF 2017
January 30th 2017 - Exhibitors Application Form available on this page
April 30th 2017 – Exhibitors Application Deadline
May 15th 2017 – Exhibitors notification of acceptance
An Art Fair for Galleries and Artists
The venue for Aberdeen Art Fair 2017 is the Beach Ballroom a landmark Art Deco building situated just a couple of minutes drive from Aberdeen’s Union Street and enjoying unlimited free car parking. Located with splendid views of the beach this venue has played host to many key events in Aberdeen’s history and provides an excellent venue for the art fair giving the organisers the opportunity to expand the event with two floors of exhibition space for visitors to enjoy.
What the Exhibitors say about the Aberdeen Art Fair
Director Gordon Robertson from exhibitors Robertson Fine Art, who have galleries in Glenrothes and Dollar commented. “This is our second time at the AAF and we’ve had a great response to our artists, in particular JJ Adams, whose original works sold out on Friday evening.”
Kevin Hutt of Aberdeen’s Enid Hutt Gallery added. “Our Banksy wheel clamp was certainly a crowd puller while those attending were given first sight of brand new work by Jack Vettriano which will be launched later this month. They proved very popular and we took a sizeable number of pre-orders.”
Claire Fotheringham, co-owner on regular exhibitors the Fotheringham Gallery also enjoyed a successful weekend. “We actually sold several works on Friday evening and all of those who purchased were customers who had bought from us previously here at the Art Fair.”
Among the first time exhibitors was Dancing Light Gallery, based south of Edinburgh, and owner Dee Davidson was delighted she has made the trip north. “I was extremely impressed with all aspects of the Fair. The quality of the exhibitors, the knowledge of those attending, the organisation of the event which was also very well publicised. An excellent event all round.”
Gray’s School of Art graduate Bryan Angus also exhibited for the first time. “It’s been very successful. As my work features numerous local landscapes, it’s been great talking to people about them and there was a lot of interest in my work.”
Managing Partner at Broughty Ferry based Eduardo Alessandro Studios is Sandro Paladini. “We’ve been very pleased with the reaction to the work of a couple of artists we brought to Aberdeen for the first time, in particular Dutch photographic artist Daan Oude Elferink. I’d been interested to see how the Aberdeen public would take to photography as an artistic medium and they were very enthusiastic which helped make it another enjoyable event.”
David McCracken Peacock Visual Arts Print Curator commented. “The Aberdeen Art Fair has grown from strength to strength each year and we enjoyed another successful three days with steady business from start to finish.”
This welcome addition to the flourishing Scottish arts scene will once again bring together a wonderful range of of galleries and artists from across Scotland and the UK.
The art fair opens on a Friday with a sell-out Preview Evening that offers live music,plenty of bubbly and a truly friendly atmosphere thats not to be missed.
This is followed by the Saturday and Sunday Public Open Days which has seen visitor numbers and sales go each year from strength to strength.
The venue for the AAF is the iconic and landmark building the Aberdeen Music Hall which is conveniently located in the centre of Aberdeen on Union Street which is the main shopping thoroughfare in Europe’s Oil Capitol. With beautiful interiors and light spacious atmosphere this has proved an excellent host venue for this now established event.
To ensure a variety and broad range of art is on offer each new exhibitor is subject to the same selection process.The Exhibitors Application Form can be found below along with the events terms and conditions and FAQs.
Applications are invited nationwide from individual artists, artists groups, print studios and galleries. We require example images of artists work, whether an individual or within a studio group or gallery
(in jpeg format), clearly labeled with your name, title, medium and size.
If you would like to receive notification that we have received your paper application, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard with your application.
Contact us now for details.
We welcome applications from printmakers and print studios.
Prints on sale must be authographic prints – that is involving the “hand of the artist” in their production. (original prints – editions of up to 250 acceptable.)
Each space will comprise a white painted rectangular shell with a minimum of 2 spotlights. The boards are made from hollow ply, painted white. They are 2.4m high and 50mm / 2” wide. While they will support a reasonable hanging weight if you are hanging anything heavy i.e. shelves, they should either be hung from the top or from anchors in the board.
Spotlights are adjustable and fixed onto the facias. The name on the facia is produced by the set builders and written as you specify.
There are a number of end-spaces available that have extra space on the outside of the stand. In the interests of fairness we are charging for these extra hanging spaces, and spotlights are included in the price.
Please inform us if you are an individual who wishes to share a space and we will try to find a suitable space for you.
Our Exhibition stands are provided by one of the UKs best known suppliers of Shell Systems and come complete with
- Fascia board with gallery name and stand number
- Carpeted stand with white shell walls 2.4m high plus overhead lighting
- Exhibitor passes
- 20 Free Complimentary passes to the Saturday and Sunday Public Open Days
- 15 double complimentary passes to the Fridays Preview Evening.
- Free entry into the Aberdeen Art Fair Guide
- Website entry that will include full contact details and 50 word business profile
- Complimentary wrapping service for all art buyers
- Free arts crèche at the Music Hall
- Full afternoons hanging time on Friday with staff available to assist
- Storage space
- Extensive PR and marketing campaign
- A hooks and wires hanging system is provided.Exhibitors can bring their own hanging system subject to agreemnt with the organisers. No nails are allowed.
For full details or to book your exhibition stand call 07712 766066 or email email@example.com.
EXHIBITION FLOOR PLAN
Option 1 – Measures 3m Wide x 1m Deep x 2.4m High. A total of 6 linear metres.Price £750 plus VAT
Option 2 – Measures 3.5m Wide x 2m Deep x 2.4m High. A total of 9.5 linear metres.Price £1350 plus VAT
Option 3 – Measures 5m Wide x 2m Deep x 2.4m High. A total of 11 linear metres.Price £1550 plus VAT
Option 4 – Measures 8m Wide x 2m Deep x 2.4m High. A total of 14 linear metres. Price on Application.
Other sizes are available on request.
Selected exhibition stands do also come with the exclusive use of one outside wall which is free of charge but are subject to availability.
Please note that measurements of the spaces are taken from the outside and do not account for the thickness of the panels, therefore the internal measurements of each back panel may be up to 10cm less. Also provided are – a wrapping stand / porters to assist with set up & take down / exhibitors cloakroom / handout containing exhibitor information.
On receipt of your application, we will require a 20% deposit to be paid within 2 weeks to guarantee reservation of your space and to cover admin costs.
Friday 1st September 12.00am– 5.00pm Exhibitors set up
Friday 1st September 6.00pm – 9.00pm Private view
Saturday 2nd September 10.00am – 6.00pm Open to public
Sunday 3rd September 10.00am – 5.00pm Open to public
Take down – Sunday 4th September from close of show
There will be a charge for entry by the general public into the show of £3 per person. This will include a handout listing all exhibitors. You will be given 20 complimentary passes and 15 Preview Evening invitations to send to your best customers.
The Preview Evening will be held on Friday 1st September from 6pm-9pm. As well as your own guests attendees will include sponsors guests, private and corporate buyers from the oil and professional sectors as well as buyers from our own database.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Exhibitors are prohibited from piling art on the exhibition stand floor. All work must be unwrapped and hung on the walls. Work can be presented in exhibitors own browsers. Secure storage facilities are available.
- All work must be original and by the artist
- Prints on sale must be authographic prints – that is involving the “hand of the artist” in their production. Mass produced reproductions even if high quality ink jet (giclee) or screenprint are not acceptable. (Editions up to 250 acceptable.) Artists & photographers working digitally can exhibit ‘giclee’ prints but they must be of the highest possible quality using
- proven colourfast inks high quality paper and of a limited edition.
- Artists cannot sublet their space or any part of it to another party without prior permission
- Artists cannot display the work or services of another party without prior permission
- A 20% deposit is required with your application, this will be offset against your full stall fee. If for any reason you choose to cancel, your deposit is non refundable. Cheques made payable to GM Events Ltd.
- If the event is cancelled we will return your deposit and stand fee in full but cannot be held liable for any additional expenses incurred.
- All stand fees must be paid in full by 1 July 2015. If payment is not received in full by this date, unfortunately you will lose your allicated stand and 20% deposit.
- You are responsible for your own insurance of your work, public liability will be covered by GM Events for the overall running of the fair but we advise that you still have back up. To gain access to free public and products liability insurance for all UK based practitioners, we advise that you join a-n / AIR. Visit http://www.a-n.co.uk/subscribe or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spaces are non transferable
- All work displayed must be for sale
- A few cards and postcards can be displayed and sold but must not dominate – 3 or 4 designs max.
Click HERE to download pdf application form
About the Organisers
The Aberdeen Art Fair is presented by GM Events Ltd who have offices in Aberdeen and Glasgow and whose Director Gerry Muldoon along with his colleagues have been delivering cultural events in Scotland for 14 years. The company has a reputation for delivering successful events and have worked in partnership with many private and public sector organisations such as Scottish Enterprise, Aberdeenshire Council, Aberdeenshire Leader, Arts and Business Scotland and Royal Deeside and Cairngorms Destination Management Organisation.
Aberdeen Art Fair will be backed by an extensive focused marketing and PR campaign that will bring together the discerning art buyer, the art enthusiast and the novice collector.
Its worth remembering that the population of the North-East of Scotland is in the top three of the highest disposable incomes in the UK. With a buoyant economy that has a thirst for culture and a long standing tradition of producing great artists combined with a superb range of galleries and one of the finest art schools in the UK Aberdeen and its iconic Music Hall provides a perfect host for the Art Fair.
The marketing campaign will include
- Outdoor media campaign
- National lifestyle magazines
- Art magazines
- On-line arts magazines sites
- Targeted Royal Mail door-to-door leaflet drop.
- Extensive PR and Social Media campaign using the services of one of Aberdeens leading PR companies, Prism PR.
- Aberdeen Art Fairs own website www.aberdeenartfair.co.uk
- Extensive local advertising campaign including Press and Journal, Evening Express, West End Gazette, The Citizen and Northsound Radio.
- Database marketing to over 25,000 culturally aware prospects
- Marketing and social media partnership with Own Art
Why can’t I sell Giclee (Inkjet) reproductions?
We want Aberdeen Art Fair to have and maintain a reputation for selling the best quality original artwork. We are very supportive of original printmaking and wish to exhibit many printmakers / printmaking studios. We feel that in the long term, exhibiting and selling reproductions undermines the event as a high quality national art fair, and in the short term confuses the public about what is and what is not an original print.
Is there a commission charge on sales?
No commission is charged.
How many hanging wires will be on the exhibition stands?
Small Pods – standard 10 perlon wires with hooks within stand
Large Pods – standard 16 perlon wires with hooks within stand
plus there will be extras available if necessary
What size will the table be on the exhibition stand ?
The large exhibition stands only will be supplied with a trestle table which is approx 4ft x 2ft with a white table cloth, (if you don’t want a table just let us know).
Please can you confirm when we can get access to the Music Hall?
Access will be available from 12 noon – there will be a team of people to help you bring in your artwork.
De-rig will be 5.00 on Sunday once all the visitors have left. Again there will be assistance to get your artworks out to your transport. Please just bear in mind that there are quite a few of you leaving at the same time so it may slow things down. We are aiming to have the Hall cleared by yourselves by about 6.30 – then the exhibition people will come in to dismantle everything.
Storage of artwork during the Fair?
There is secure storage facilities in rooms just metres from the main hall. You will be introduced to the head steward on arrival who will show you to your storage area.
What labels can we use?
You can use sticky labels as long as you take them off at the end. You can also use card/foamex labels stuck on with blu or white tack.
What is the standard lighting?
Small Pods – standard 2 lights per stand (1 max available for purchase)
Large Pods – standard 3 lights per stand (2 max available for purchase)
(Any extra lights can be purchased at a cost of £15 plus VAT each)
If after reading through this information you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact us on email@example.com
Our legal boffins ask us to point out that AAF my not be suitable for every type of artist/exhibitor and we therefore cannot promise or guarantee results in any way. If you have any queries on this please contact us.